Tuesday, December 14

Allen Cocktail


Allen Cocktail:
  • 1/4 oz. Lemon juice
  • 3/4 oz. Maraschino liqueur
  • 1 1/2 oz. gin
Shake and strain into 3 oz. Cocktail glass

In a word, terrific.

This is really similar to another classic cocktail, the Aviation. Similar ingredients, but in different proportions. Here, the Maraschino liqueur (Luxardo is my brand) really forms a huge component of the drink, bring a sweetness and an interesting, partly cherry, partly floral component to the drink. The slight bit of lemon juice cuts through the sweetness and adds just that little bit of tart. The overall impression, at least to my palate (and it's weird, so maybe my palate is a bit weird) is of grapefruit. Don't ask me why. If you were to garnish it with a genuine Maraschino cherry, I probably wouldn't argue.

This probably will also make the cut as an overall "winner". I'd definitely recommend this one, particularly if you like the Maraschino liqueur, which admittedly does take a bit of getting used to. But I'm a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment